Monday, December 5, 2011

Remember that Book of Mormon Experiment?

At the beginning of that three week long experiment (I mentioned earlier in my blog), I made a promise to myself that I would put much effort into doing the best I could on applying these scriptures to my life.  I definitely saw improvement in my life and my character.  I learned that I need to be more receptive to the spirit, to avoid contention, and to stop judging unrighteously.
            The first scripture that I chose is Helaman 5:30 on October 20th, which reads:
                        And it came to pass when they heard this voice, and beheld that it was not a voice of thunder, neither was it a voice of a great tumultuous noise, but behold, it was a still voice of perfect mildness, as if it had been a whisper, and it did pierce even to the very soul.
            I took from that scripture that I needed to be more approachable by the Holy Ghost.  I am sure the Holy Ghost tries to speak to me often, but I am usually so busy in my life to actually stop and listen.  So for that entire week I prayed morning and night for guidance on how I could be more able to hear the Holy Ghost and recognize his voice.  The day after I started this challenge, I already recognized the promptings of the Holy Ghost and his power in my life.  For instance, I recognized the spirit dwelling within me as I went to take a test for a difficult class.  I prayed not for answers to the test, but I prayed for a calming of my nerves.  My whole life I have had test anxiety for reasons I am still unsure of.  When I pray, however, I noticed my breathing becoming even, and I felt comfort and peace. 
            Now, I have always prayed before taking tests, but I never really understood why I always felt the need to until that day.  That day, I recognized the spirit’s warmth in my soul during the entire test.  I felt comforted.  I realized that if I did not pray before a test, I would miss that feeling, and I just never wanted that feeling to be absent, especially then.

No comments:

Post a Comment