Monday, December 5, 2011

Give Willingly

Tithing settlement recently took place in my ward, and I had the wonderful opportunity to go before my bishop and declare to him in the sight of God that I am a full tithe payer.  Now, my testimony of many different aspects of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and of the Church in general is strong.  I know it is true.  But tithing is a specific part that I feel is where the strongest part of my testimony lies.

Being in college, you have many financial strains throughout the four or more years.  I knew that when I came, so I have never really stressed too much about it.  I always know that if I work hard and do my best and pay my tithing, the Lord will bless me.  I really do have a strong testimony on tithing.  However, recently, I've become a little anxious.

Then, the night I declared to the Lord that I was a full tithe payer and paid off the last of my tithing, I remembered a talk given in my ward.  The talk said how he was told in a prayer to only pray about what he was thankful for, and to imagine that when he woke up the next morning he would only have what he prayed about being thankful for the night before.  For some reason, that talk came to my mind as I prepared to pray. I found it odd, but I decided to do that.  I had been about to ask for help with finances, but I decided to only say what I was thankful for.  I did just that, and in the prayer I mentioned that I was thankful for the blessings of tithing.

The following day, something wonderful happened.  My father called me and mentioned how I was the only child to never ask for money while away from home.  He then went on to explain that he would be putting some money into my account.  Just the amount that I was needing.  I felt the spirit and a strong love for my father on earth and in Heaven.  I knew He listened to my prayer, and I am so thankful to Him for giving me such a wonderful, loving family and father that is worthy to receive the promptings of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment