Monday, November 21, 2011

Family History, I am Doing it!

As I mentioned before, my parents sent me a voice recorder for my birthday!  I'm sure you were dying to know what my plans for it are.  I will tell you....



Over Thanksgiving and Christmas, I hope to compile my living family's history on my mother's side (the Alberts line) into a book.  I hope to give a copy of that book to every family on that side for Christmas in 2012.  With the recorder I will record the stories and as much history as my family will allow of their life.  I will interview each person individually--it's kind of a large project--and then type up all of their answers.  I will then organize everyone's story from birth until now on the computer.  Then I will somehow arrange all of their answers into a logical order and include any pictures that they give me of their life growing up and a picture of them at that moment in time.  I think I will take a picture of them right before or after the interview to make at least those pictures consistent.

I am in a family history class right now, so I have really learned the value of family history.  I think that by doing this I will encourage my family to record their memories and experiences for later generations.  I hope this shows my entire family that family history is not only important, but it can be fun as well.  I know this is a large project because I have such a large family, but I know it will be worth it and a great way to preserve the history of our family for future generations.  What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Wow. impressive venture! I'm excited to take a genealogy class next semester and get started with the basics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is such a cool project to take on! That definitely takes a lot of dedication and work! i am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool what you are doing for your family. Family History is something I know I really need to start doing. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! Your family will really appreciate your work! I'm a ward indexer and this post makes me want to do more indexing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is looking like it will be loads of work. Luckily I have a few days during finals week to get everything ready. @heymace--I really hope you enjoy your class next semester! Who do you have? @808cougarette--I love indexing and I really respect those who get to organize that within the ward. You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete